[Design and Technology] Information on CNC

David Pitt dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 21 20:21:28 EDT 2018

I’ve worked at a school that had one in the past.

The pro:
You can definitely do some things with a CNC that are difficult, or painstaking, with hand or jig routing.
Once you learn the basics of Vcarve or whatever software, the entry level stuff kids are likely to need to do is pretty easy to accommodate.

The neg:
It was noisy – it needed a separate room from the rest of the space, acoustically insulated.
We really needed to have a technician to queue up and coordinate jobs, as it got a lot of use over time
The changing of bits, maintenance and so on was a bit of a time-eating proposition.

Overall:
If you can get one, it’s well worth it.  For 4k you might struggle though, as cheaper ones tend to fall out of alignment and calibration easier and that’s just a bigger headache over time.  Did you have a model/brand you were thinking of?

Cheers, and good luck.

David Pitt Teacher
[mail_sig]

T +61 3 9807 8888
E dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au<mailto:dpitt at huntingtower.vic.edu.au>
W http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au<http://www.huntingtower.vic.edu.au/>
77 Waimarie Drive, Mount Waverley, Victoria 3149, Australia

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or telephone, and destroy the original message. Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material contained in this e-mail is free from computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.