[Design and Technology] Cad Programs

Grieve, Carlin C grieve.carlin.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Apr 26 12:32:27 AEST 2017

Hi John,

There are a lot of programs available, all with their pro’s and con’s. CNC & Laser products can also have recommended programs to work with.

Personally I have been through a lot of different products, both CAD and other 3D model programs with students. I find that Autodesk Fusion 360 I am trialling this year has been the easiest. Specifically for students to pick up with a very easy learning curve without a scary screen or commands to remember. Other products like Autodesk Inventor/Autocad, although more powerful, quite a few students get lost. And Google sketch up, just is not what it used to be.

The negative to Fusion360 is the requirement for an account. But only my year 7’s had issues with this – your computer technicians may be able to assist with their school email address. (They can download the software for free at home)

Laser Cutting used to be in Corel/Illustrator but I am looking at Fusion directly now for that too: https://www.acemonstertoys.org/fusion-360-for-laser-cutting/

Kind Regards,
[cid:image007.png at 01D1B9E9.E8187310]

Carlin Grieve