[Design and Technology] Ideas for Systems and technology (7-10)

Travis Burroughs travis.burroughs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:31:16 AEDT 2016

Guys,

Here is a little more about VEX robotics,

There are 2 platforms of VEX Robotics. The first is the IQ, a small
platform based predominantly of plastic that allows students to quickly
design, build and program. IQ competitions have been designed to promote
teamwork and a sense of success for everyone who competes. The VEX IQ
platform is targeted at student’s year 6 – 8. The second platform is EDR,
the most common here in Australia. The EDR robots are much larger than the
IQ and are made up of metal and plastic components.  Again the platform
allows students to design, build, and program. The VEX EDR platform
includes electronics, mechanics, integrated systems, pneumatics, and
wireless communication, all components of the VCE Systems course here in
Victoria.  Schools in Victoria are using the EDR platform as teaching means
for Systems year 8 – 12 and as Lunch time club activity. Both methods have
proven to be very beneficial to students.

The REC Foundation has developed very detailed curriculum for both the EDR
and the IQ platforms (http://www.roboticseducation.
org/educational-resources/robotics-curriculum/). Both the curriculums are
very adaptable to the Australian curriculum and they approach robotics from
a STEM perspective. There is a second curriculum and software available
from Robot Virtual Worlds that allows student to program and test robots in
a virtual environment. It is a great alternative for schools that want to
put large numbers of students through robotics education (
http://www.robotvirtualworlds.com/download/).

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. DATTA will be
running a workshop on VEX at the DEC conference, and we are always able to
run PL if we have enough teachers in a given area.

Travis Burroughs

DATTA Victoria Robotics Coordinator / Treasurer

Camberwell High School