[Design and Technology] DATTA Vic Term 4 Newsletter 2014 - Undiscovered Hands On conference

DATTA Vic pl at datta.vic.edu.au
Tue Oct 7 15:06:29 EST 2014

DATTA Vic Newsletter Term 4 2014.
Volume 27 Issue 4
ISSN: 1835 - 7148
http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=4934f1e444&e=ae7b9e9f4d
http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=6a3e9767ee&e=ae7b9e9f4d

** Welcome from the President
Hi all technology teachers,

DATTA Vic have more workshops for VCE PD&T exam prep coming up and we’re gearing up for the Hands On Conference on Friday 5 December.

** Hands On Conference – presenter call out
Our theme is ‘Undiscovered’, so we’re looking forward to practical, new ideas and different approaches to technology teaching and learning.

Thanks to those of you who have offered to present some new and exciting workshops, but we’d love to hear from more of you.

It will be a great learning event, so keep that date free (and start the PL approval process in your school now).

** DATTA Vic annual general meeting
DATTA Vic is holding its AGM on 29 October in Carlton (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=75099e21db&e=ae7b9e9f4d) . We are excited that Georgene Bridgeman from Akorn Educational Services (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=12cb5299be&e=ae7b9e9f4d) will be speaking to us about their valuable programs, which engage students and teachers in the working world of technology and engineering.

Their organisation creates great opportunities for students to work alongside professionals to develop solutions to real problems.

The DATTA Vic AGM business is important, but will be concluded very quickly at the end of the meeting.

Please consider nominating to become a DATTA Vic committee member – we’d love to have more teachers involved (commitment involves a meeting each month and some participation in other DATTA Vic activities).

** VCAA publication - update
As highlighted below,  the VCAA’s publication of the second iteration of AusVELS (which includes the new Design and Technology curriculum) has been delayed until either late this year or early next year. Schools are expected to fully implement the new AusVELS curriculum learning areas from the beginning of 2017.

I want to thank all teachers involved in the exam marking process – it’s hard work but also fantastic professional development. Consider applying to be a marker next year.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Hands On Conference, if not before.

All the best,

Jill Livett

** VCAA Report

** Top Designs
Applications for 2015 Top Designs (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=e8290e075f&e=ae7b9e9f4d)  will close on 16 October 2014 for Product Design and Technology. Students are advised that if they wish to submit work for consideration to Top Designs, they should be aware of the copyright requirements covering work submitted.

** AusVELS update
The VCAA Notice to Schools 9/2014, published on 30 January 2014, indicated that the second iteration of AusVELS was anticipated to be released in Term 3, 2014.

This timeline has now been delayed as a result of the Commonwealth government's review of the Australian Curriculum.

Leanne Compton
Curriculum Manager, Design and Technologies
compton.leanne.l at edumail.vic.gov.au (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=21d8ce1c34&e=ae7b9e9f4d)
t: 03 9032 1698

** Professional Learning

Exams are just around the corner and so we've prepared a series of invaluable workshops for you and your students.

** Geelong regional exam preparation
When: Monday 13 October
Where: Aprhrasia Street, Newtown, Geelong, Australia
Time: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Cost: $40 for students, free for teachers with students, $95 for teachers alone
Register here (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=e777df9098&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** Horsham regional exam preparation
When: Monday 13 October
Where: Wimmera Trade Training Centre, Horsham College Campus, 23 High Street N, Horsham, VIC
Time: 9:30am - 12:30pm
Cost: $40 for students, free for teachers with students, $95 for teachers alone
Register here (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=8c0c14b8f6&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** Melbourne CBD exam preparation
When: Monday 20 October
Where: RMIT University, RMIT Swanston Academic Building, Room 10, Level 11, 445 Swanston St, Melbourne
Time: 10:00am – 1:00pm
Cost: $40 for students, free for teachers with students, $95 for teachers alone
Register here (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=28b50c95ee&e=ae7b9e9f4d)   (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=ea5dbefdbe&e=ae7b9e9f4d)
Contact Sarah Hunt pl at datta.vic.edu.au (mailto:pl at datta.vic.edu.au)  or (03) 9349 1538 for more information.

** DATTA Vic Annual General Meeting
The 2014 DATTA Vic annual general meeting will be held on Wednesday 29 October.

Please consider nominating to become a member of the DATTA Vic committee.

Guest speaker: Akorn Educational Services speaker Georgene Bridgeman will speak on their programs, which engage teachers and students in the working world of education and technology.
Where: DATTA Vic Offices, meeting rooms A and B, level 2, 150 Palmerston Street, Carlton 3053
Time: 5:45pm for 6:00pm start - 7:30pm. We also invite you to join us for dinner after the AGM at a local restaurant.
Agenda and nomination forms: These will be sent to you shortly.

Register here (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=a259c07748&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** What's On
There are some fantastic exhibitions and events taking place this term and throughout the year.

Bendigo Art Gallery
Undressed: 350 years of Underwear in Fashion (http://vic.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=86a8432c6d&e=ae7b9e9f4d) - 19 July – 26 October 2014

Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia
Mid-Century modern: Australian Furniture Design (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=bfabe40eac&e=ae7b9e9f4d) - Opening 30 May - 19 October 2014

NGV International
Art of the Table (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=b6e10d6295&e=ae7b9e9f4d) - 28 February 2014 - 31 December 2014
Romance Was Born - Kids Project (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=39230fdb98&e=ae7b9e9f4d) - Opening 3 October 2014 - 28 June 2015

Scienceworks
Think Ahead (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=c4c854a5c4&e=ae7b9e9f4d) -  there are some great interactive exhibits, ideal for years 6, 7 & 8

** Teacher of the Year Awards now open
The 2015 DATTA Vic Teacher of the Year nominations are now open.

You can nominate a teacher in the following award categories:
* New to Technology Teaching
* Primary Educator of the Year
* Secondary Educator of the Year
* Leadership in Design and Technology Education Award

Please fill out a nomination form (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=3d95de0777&e=ae7b9e9f4d) , as nominations close Thursday 6 November 2014.

** Undiscovered Hands On Conference
Our 2014 Hands On conference is coming up on Friday 5 December at the Northern College of Arts and Technology.

** Presenter call out
We are looking for fresh and exciting presenters and perspectives on Design and Technology teaching.

This year our theme, undiscovered, explores the new and innovative ways of teaching students.

Workshop Timing

Your workshop presentations length can be:
* 2 hour practical workshop
* 1.5 hour practical workshop
* 3 hour practical workshop (2 x 1.5 hours)
* Whole day workshop (please clearly state in your application that your workshop will be delivered across 6 hours)

Register your interest to present here (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=e4ba46ecbf&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** Save the date
The conference tickets will be available shortly for purchase. In the meantime, please mark your diary with the conference date.

When:  Friday 5 December
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Where: Northern College of Arts and Technology, 62 Murray Rd Preston

** VACC Automotive Design Awards Briefing
This workshop will introduce you to the new arrangements for the VACC Automotive Design Awards in 2015 which will be on display at the Australian Motoring Festival, at the Melbourne Showgrounds, in March and a prize giving at Federation Square on Wednesday, 1 April 2015.

To assist teachers and students with successful entries we will be giving out and explaining a helpful design booklet linked to the term 4 timetable. This should ensure that your students have time and structure with which they can create fantastic designs of futuristic vehicles.

When: 5 - 6pm, Monday 13 October
Where: DATTA Vic, Level 2, 150 Palmerston Street, Carlton 3053
Cost: Free

Register here (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=1c792d5087&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** Future Runway
The Future Runway presented by Spotlight is a showcase of the future of fashion in Australia.

It provides students with the unique opportunity to produce a collection using Spotlight materials and showcase it in a Festival produced runway show before fashion industry professionals, media and consumers.

Applications due 28 November 2014 (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=7782c0035e&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

** DATTA Vic resources available
Datta Vic has a wide range of resources available to help you get the most out of teaching design and technology.

In particular, we have a number of resource guides available for PD&T teaching at VCE level.

Purchase: Order our support material
online (http://vic.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=cb4f478b79&e=ae7b9e9f4d)  or hard cover copy by calling DATTA Vic on (03) 9349 1538.

** Job vacancy - Executive Education Officer

DATTA Vic is looking for an enthusiastic and organised person to take on the position of Education Executive Officer.

The role encompasses the present Professional Learning Manager role with additional administrative responsibilities (EFT 0.8).

Please consider this role, and/or pass the information on to others who might be interested.

Applications close 10 October.

View the job advertisement here. (http://vic.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=480c625212&e=ae7b9e9f4d )

** Free advertising for members

Members can advertise for free in this newsletter and on the DATTA Vic website.

Non members - $50 per advert (not available to commercial interests)
* Selling equipment
* Looking for equipment
* Advertise employment opportunites
* Seeking employment

Send your text and pictures to dattavicweb at gmail.com

** Technotes
Technotes is now a digital resource you can access on our webpage. Articles range from insights into new technologies, inspiring projects taking place regionally, nationally and internationally, competitions, alternative teaching and learning approaches and many more interesting areas in education.

If you have an inspiring project or unit of work you would like to share with others and would be willing to write for Technotes please contact Sarah Hunt at pl at datta.vic.edu.au (mailto:pl at datta.vic.edu.au) .

Like us on Facebook ** Click Here (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=6b4bc9c515&e=ae7b9e9f4d)
Volume 27 Issue 3
ISSN: 1835 - 7148
Copyright © 2014 DATTA Vic, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
** admin at datta.vic.edu.au (mailto:admin at datta.vic.edu.au)
** www.datta.vic.edu.au (http://vic.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=6b47c124ca&e=ae7b9e9f4d)

This email was sent to destech at edulists.com.au (mailto:destech at edulists.com.au)
why did I get this? (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/about?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=de46967353&e=ae7b9e9f4d&c=4934f1e444)     unsubscribe from this list (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=de46967353&e=ae7b9e9f4d&c=4934f1e444)     update subscription preferences (http://vic.us6.list-manage1.com/profile?u=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&id=de46967353&e=ae7b9e9f4d)
DATTA Vic · 150 Palmerston Street, Carlton, Victoria, Australia · Carlton, VIC 3053 · Australia

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=7ed735b6928a1ab8d30e6f12a&afl=1