[Design and Technology] Textiles course for years 9 and 10

Treverton, Melissa J treverton.melissa.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Nov 25 22:19:57 EST 2014

Hi Kerry,

I have built my Yr 9 & 10 courses around the same framework as V.C.E.  We really look at the design aspect and I give them some personal imput into their design brief.  I have done bean bags in Yr 9 for the past 5 years. They only get calico to make it, so we focus on embelishing , dying, embroidery etc.  They are a fabulous project, easy to make, but really personal.

In Yr 10 we do sleepwear.  Students create their own brief, sleepwear and budget being the only constraints. They complete the entire process working on their own ideas. Challenging as you can have 25 different patterns being used, but usually there are double ups.  They love this, I also include an excursion to Spotlight to select and purchase their materials.

We have a 1/3 girls: 2/3 boys ratio at my school too so I usually get small classes or only run one semester of each.  In saying that it goes in cycles and I even have a boy at yr 9 and Yr 10 next year.  I try to make the products we make unisex and not all garments to ensure it is not seen as a fashion design course.

Hope that is helpful.

Melissa ☺

Melissa Treverton
Technology Domain Leader