[Design and Technology] Textiles course for years 9 and 10

Lisa Walsh lisaw at avilacollege.vic.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 21:30:43 EST 2014

Dear Kerry,

It is hard because we are often the loners of the school. We really need to
start a cluster group or regional networks to share ideas. There probably
already is one but I know nothing about it!

I am at an all girls school so my focus at year 9 is garment construction
through the manufacture of a dress. At year 10, however, I have been
experimenting with a stretch sewing course where students learn stretch
techniques and design and manufacture a hoodie, including an original
screen print or print design somewhere on the hoodie. It's still in the
planning for semester one next year. (Of course I need to develop it with
the AusVel's curriculum in mind.) You could look at jeans deconstruction,
redesign and manufacture also.

Back to reports,

*Lisa Walsh*
Design & Technology