[Design and Technology] Cricket Smart - Education Resources

Davone Pope admin at datta.vic.edu.au
Mon Jun 2 12:59:16 EST 2014

From: Nick Pryde
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:37 AM
To: admin at datta.vic.edu.au
Subject: Cricket Smart - Education Resources

Greetings,

My name is Nick Pryde, I am the Manager of School Programs for Cricket Australia and we are currently developing an Education Resource that aligned to the national curriculum, but uses the Cricket World Cup 2015 (CWC2015) to theme the unit plans.

As you may know, the CWC2015 will be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand and our intention is to create a long lasting legacy via these education resources. We have spent 6 months developing these resources (with curriculum experts), and we believe they will be of high value to teachers and students across Australia. I have provided a summary of the subjects covered below in BLUE

Cricket Australia in association with the CWC Local Organising Committee are conducting a review session next Monday evening from around 6pm to 8.30pm. At this stage we have a range of teachers from across Melbourne invited, along with members from ACARA, and the Curriculum designers (itc Publications). We would like to extend the offer of attendance to you and members of your team as well. Can you please let me know if this is of interest to you or your team and I will send through a more formal invite, as well as the resources for review prior to the session. Further, I will send through the agenda and objectives of the evening.

The subject areas that have resources developed are as follows:

Year 4 Science

Are You a Force with Which to be Reckoned?

Use cricket to engage students in the world of contact and non-contact forces. You’ll be able to lead practical

experiments that explore push, pull and twist forces.

Year 5 Mathematics

Are Numbers the Real Game?

Students take on the role of cricket selectors. Using mathematical data, students analyse the performances of

some of the best cricket players to select a World XI!

Year 5 Economics and Business

Hosting an International Cricket Tournament

Students investigate the benefits, challenges and resources required to host an international cricket

tournament. This unit engages students in economics, mathematics and ICTs in their quest to find out!

Year 6 History

Migration – A Case Study of Fawad Ahmed

Connect your students with the real life story of an Australian sporting hero, Fawad Ahmed, and his journey of

hardship, migration and sporting excellence.

Year 7 Geography

Liveability – Making Where You Live Even Better!

Students are members of the Mayor’s advisory panel for youth affairs. They analyse the liveability of their local

area, identify major issues affecting young people and put together a comprehensive action plan on how to

improve the liveability of the area in which they live.

Years 7/8 Design and Technology

Eyes on the Prize: Design and Innovation Challenge

Students design, create and evaluate a trophy for the winning team of the world’s biggest and most prestigious

cricket tournament.

Kindest regards and I hope to hear from you soon.

     NICK PRYDE | Manager Schools Programs & Accredited Providers
      Cricket Australia | 60 Jolimont St | Jolimont Victoria 3002
      Direct: +61 3 9653 8884 | Fax: | Mobile: +61 418 694 616
      Nick.Pryde at cricket.com.au | www.cricket.com.au

This e-mail message and any attached files may contain information that is copyright or confidential.   It has been prepared for the private and confidential use of the intended recipient and may not be disclosed to anyone else.  Any review, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is unauthorised.   If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail together with any attachments.  Cricket Australia does not represent this e-mail to be free from any virus, fault or defect and it is therefore the responsibility of the recipient to first scan it for viruses, faults and defects.