[Design and Technology] FW: ABC-1 new program on Innovation, technology and research

David Fletcher dgfletch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 20 00:38:20 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: kurt-scu-PB [mailto:kseemann at scu.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, 19 August 2010 10:08 PM
To: Jill Livett; Mark Pengilley; Christina C Moss; David Fletcher; Simon
O'Mallon; Judy Moore; Ken Aitken; Shane Murphy; Patricia Hynes; Jacinta
O'Leary; Lorraine Tran
Subject: ABC-1 new program on Innovation, technology and research

Dear all,

FYI...

Sent to me by one of my PhD Teched students..  (need to copy both line of
the URL link)

Kurt

Begin forwarded message:

I just heard on ABC1 there's a new series starting next Thurs night about
'how technology shapes us and we shape technology' (gee someone should write
a thesis about that), called 'Vision of the Future'. Seems the intelligence
revolution is almost upon us (and here was I thinking we'd reached peak
intelligence)

So I looked up the website,
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201008/programs/ZY9715A001D2010-08-26T20
3000.htm?program=Visions%20Of%20The%20Future

... appears more from the science end of the technology spectrum than I was
expecting, but nevertheless, a few familiar people here may be of interest:

... Interviews with the world's leading scientists, include Artificial
Intelligence (AI) pioneers Marvin Minsky and Rodney Brooks, geneticist
Francis Collins, immunologist Anthony Fauci, neuroscientist Susan
Greenfield, and transhumanists, such as Ray Kurzweil and Nick Bostrum. The
programs discuss not just the likely changes that technology will bring, but
their implications across all aspects of our lives.

Michio Kaku believes we are on the verge of a profound new scientific era -
we are reaching the end of the Age of Discovery and beginning a new age -
the Age of Mastery. We will become the active choreographers of nature. Each
program looks at how a key technology will transform life throughout the
21st century.

Deb

Dr Kurt Seemann

DATTA Vic Thinker, 2010.

Member of the World Society for Ekistics

 [Block-M, Room MG-30],

Director of Research

School of Tourism and Hospitality Management

Adj. Assoc. Professor. of Sustainable Settlements Research

Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute
http://works.bepress.com/kurt_seemann/

School of Tourism and Hospitality Management,

Coffs Harbour Campus.  Southern Cross University,
Mobile: 0427 099 439, Desk: 02 6659 3627.
Fax: 02 6659 3328.  AIM/Skype/iChat <kurtscu>

On the problem with standardise technology experiences:
"My concern with new technologies is that there is a danger that one is
asked to be too passive. What I fear is if you're just passive like that and
you're not interacting or introducing your own version of events, your own
inner world, you will end up just as a reactive kind of sponge, just saying,
if you like, yuk and wow, yuk and wow."
Baroness Professor Susan Greenfield, 2004, ABC-TV Catalyst Program,
Australia.

18:35:00