[Design and Technology] [Fwd: FW: a short video for you to explain SolidWorks SustainabilityXpress]

pl at datta.vic.edu.au pl at datta.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 17:50:24 EST 2010

Forwarded on behalf of Phil Cranswick - Aitken College

Subject: Subject: TO TEACHERS OF "SOLIDWORKS" ENGINEERING SOFTWARE - A
New Eco-Design Tool - SustainabilityXpress

Hi again

You may have time to watch the attached video.  I am interested in what
you think too ; )

Just to explain -  "SolidWorks SustainabilityXpress" allows designers
can choose materials that have minimal impact on the environment -
program measures Carbon emissions, Energy used, Air pollution and Water
contaminants of a whole host of materials that designers use so
designers can choose materials that have similar physical properties
but smaller negative impact.

This year's  release  of SustainabilityXpress only applies to USA
economy but Solidworks is developing a similar data base for Australia
that will give us our own customized version of SustainabilityXpress.

Regards,

Phil Cranswick - design and Technology teacher

PS: Here are some of the "Environmental components" of our Technology
Programs.

*        Computer Modeling - CAD years 9 and 10

Students learn about "Sustainable design" using "SolidWorks
SustainabilityXpress" where designers can choose materials that have
minimal impact on the environment - program measures Carbon emissions,
Energy used, Air pollution and Water contaminants of a whole host of
materials that designers use so designers can choose materials that have
similar physical properties  but smaller negative impact.

*        Computer Modeling CAD years 9 and 10

Students compare "Cradle to Grave design" (concepts of the industrial
revolution where waste and environmental harm is the end product)  with
a more considered and responsible approach "Cradle to Cradle design"
(concept that products, like in nature, can have close cycles of supply
where "Waste equals Food" for either "technical nutrients", (where
products can be recycled - sometimes endlessly) or "biological
nutrients" where products are design to feed the natural world being
food for micro organisms - biodegradable.

*        Design and Technology years 6 to 12

Students learn about "where" timber comes from and the idea of a
sustainable timber industry versus clear felling. Discuss environmental
and ethical issues relating to timber industry and the value of
biodiversity. Also manufactured boards that reduce waste of natural
resources

*        Design and Technology years 11 and  12

Students learn about "risk assessment" but also correct use and
disposal of harmful chemicals - eg paints and thinners go to industrial
incinerators

I guess this is a start for me as a lot of it is linked to new
technology and ideas that are starting to infiltrate industry and the
design world. I'm always seeking to develop the content and the ways to
present these principle affectively so if anyone has ideas to share
enjoy hearing from you.