[Design and Technology] RE: 4.4.5.2

Bazeley bazeley at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 19 13:16:28 EST 2008

Lorraine,

Thankyou for your prompt and informative response. I am looking forward to
reading Paul's email and can we please see David's response?

I have been involved in the process of verification with Noel Arnold and
Assoc. this year and I would like to share my experiences of this process. I
don't think that a competency test for teachers is enough if they are
working in an unsafe workplace. I would suggest that schools take both
steps, the competency test and the verification process.

I have been involved in the redesign of our workshop for a few years now.
Mostly in response to the increases in class size but also in the changing
nature of the curriculum. I see that the issue of class size is still not
addressed. 25 I believe for Secondary Schools under the new agreement. I am
now involved with VET teaching. The importance on health and safety is even
greater when you have students going out on work placement.

Throughout this work it has been apparent to me that there is insufficient
guidelines on the layout of classrooms and the purchase of appropriate
equipment. I still think that the Department needs to do more work on
providing practical advice to schools. Policy is fine but we need the
practical support to implement it.

Finally there are the financial considerations. The one off Grant money to
schools is a help but unless there is ongoing targeted funding for this work
then I believe that too many Principals will put technology in the too hard
basket. Who is paying for the cost of staff to do the VQA training at your
school?

Richard Bazeley