[Design and Technology] RE: 4.4.5.2

Tran, Lorraine I tran.lorraine.i at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Jul 19 10:45:06 EST 2008

Richard

I agree that it would be useful if more teachers voiced their concerns via this list. The issues arising from 4.4.5.2 were discussed at the DATAA Vic meeting on Wednesday evening, and David Fletcher, the Secretary of DATTA Vic has written and sent a response yesterday to Paul O'Halloran and others in DEECD. David has received a response from Paul, and I will send his email to the list once I have gained his permission. In his email, Paul states a willingness to review the draft in light of feedback. Paul also states that

'DEECD needs to move forward with a system that keeps kids safe while achieving educational outcomes.

The current approach is resulting in too many recurrences of serious injury - too often because of inadequate supervision, unsafe systems and operator incompetency.'

If there are others who are concerned about 4.4.5.2., I am willing to co-ordinate a face-to-face meeting with Paul and others in DEECD - also with DATTA Vic representation.

As for curriculum changes you refer to - safety and design have been part of Technology curriculum since the early 90's. We must ensure as educators that we are providing an engaging, contemporary curriculum that adheres to safety requirements for our students. As I see it, this is an evolutionary process, rather than a complete 'redo'.

Regards, Lorraine.

Lorraine Tran
Curriculum Manager, P - 12 Design and Technology
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority
41 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne   3002

Telephone (03)9651 4407
Mobile 041 933 1630