[Design and Technology] Rapidprototyping and SolidWorks

pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au pcranswick at aitkencollege.edu.au
Thu May 17 16:45:22 EST 2007

Hi everyone.

At the TEAV conference I presented a workshop on Rapid Prototyping
and
Engineering Design. If you were unable to attend but were still
interested in rapid prototyping as a design development tool in the
classroom or just in using Solidworks., you can contact me here at
work. I'd love to hear from you.

Any CAD program in the classroom is great. I think ProDesktop,
Inventor, Pro Engineer and SolidEdge all work well but I guess I just
love using SoliWorks and believe in the product for schools!

My students build 3D CAD skills through a semester long elective in
years 9 and 10. It complements the Technology and VCD Courses really
well.

SO WHY SOLIDWORKS?
1) "The SolidWorks Corporation recognizes that today's students are
tomorrow's industry leaders. As the leader in 3D modelling software,
SolidWorks is committed to providing the most innovative resources
for learning and teaching CAD to students and educators, worldwide.
The SolidWorks Education Program has been endorsed by global leaders
in government, industry, and education". LOOK AT EXAMPLES BELOW!

2)Over 75% of the world's top-ranked academic institutions have
enhanced engineering graphics and CAD instruction with SolidWorks
software. WOW!

3)SolidWorks is used widely in schools in the US, Canada and Germany.
Also in Northern Ireland, there are 300 high schools with 9,000
Solidworks licences - a Government initiative. In Norway there are
1,300 schools with about 30,000 licences. In the US, North Carolina
for example there are 17 high schools with 425 licences. In France
there are 5,000 French middle schools and high schools teaching
SolidWorks, In that country SolidWorks has about 65% market share in
French secondary education.

4) EXCELLENT Online Tutorials, and Teaching materials. My year six
students have used it to design their CO2 cars but amazingly it's the
same software that top Engineers use everywhere.

5) Excellent Technical support - through InterCAD in Box Hill

6) About $4,000 for a 30 seat licence. So for the cost of a fully
installed Pedestal Drill and a Grinder, your schools administration
could really afford SolidWorks - it's the "design tool".

Your administration should know that Solidworks is used in
Engineering and Product Design Degrees at most of Melbourne's
Universities. They'd be giving their students such an opportunity.

If your interested, check out this SolidWorks Teacher Blog
http://blogs.solidworks.com/teacher/
and these websites
http://www.solidworks.com/
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/edu/index.html

I'll leave this here.

Philip Cranswick

Privileged or Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), you may not copy or distribute this
message. In such case destroy this message and please notify the
sender by email, or call Craig Brooks (LAN Administrator) at Aitken College
on (+61 3) 9333 1866. Thank-you