[Informatics] Big Data in Schools

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Mar 21 04:07:37 UTC 2019

"*In order to get a quick sense of the scope of these issues, we are
conducting a quick scoping survey.*

*We’d be grateful if you could answer a few brief questions to give us your
views on what we should be looking for in our research.*"

This is, in itself, is a good discussion point for your kids about how data
collection should begin.

Begin with a broad, open-ended collection of potentially-relevant issues.
(e.g. "What makes you violent?"  Many answers may refer to *alcohol*)

Once the subject's parameters are understood, one can create a detailed,
specific, close-questioned survey or questionnaire. (e.g. "How often
after *drinking
alcohol* have been violent?")

Thus, irrelevant questions based on ignorant guesswork can be eliminated,
such as - "How often after *watching Spongebob Squarepants, or drowning in
tepid custard*, have you been violent?"

Hmmm. Spongebob Custard.

I'm with you, Melissa Yuan

mark at vceit.com