[Informatics] FW: Survey

Fox, Richard R fox.richard.r at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun May 13 06:39:20 EDT 2018

Hi Vera,

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell. I’ve done the SAT twice now and my students just use Google Forms. It does mean that some validation that you might normally do in a web page is not done, and they will need to manually check the Google Sheet data that gets filled in. The other trap is that Google Forms generates nice graphs from the raw data, so my students will often just copy those into their reports, without doing any rigorous analysis of their own.

In order to reach maximum numbers, I have used our internal email group lists to pass on the surveys to our students. Which means that I get Year 9s complaining to me about ‘my’ surveys and I have to try to explain that I am just forwarding on behalf of the Year 12 class. Understandably some of the data collected is of a dubious quality, but it is also a learning process to see that when their questions are carelessly worded or poorly considered the value of the data drops considerably.

Regards,
Richard
--
Richard Fox
Diamond Valley College

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.