[Informatics] Data scientists really love their jobs

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Apr 21 15:47:38 AEST 2017

I *love* cleaning, sorting and tagging files.

Renaming <http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php> a few thousand
audio files into a consistent scheme,
cleaning <http://www.adobe.com/au/products/audition.html> them up (
*Audition* is the only Adobe product I really admire),  then
tagging <http://www.mp3tag.de/en/> their metadata
fills me with more satisfaction than than which I am willing to admit in
public.

Give me a few thousand misnamed, disordered and duplicated files of any
type and I'm like a kid in a lolly shop.
This year I went through J.S.Bach's complete oeuvre, renaming and
organising 3,778 files into BWV order.
I am currently working through about five hundred donated audio cassettes
of old time British radio shows, which I am digitising to FLAC, cleaning
the audio, and organising the files into coherent series.
I am also splitting and identifying several dozen donated bootleg
recordings of R.E.M. live in concert into individual tracks.
Yes. That's what retirement does to people.

But, Roland, please don't send me your socks.

Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com