[Informatics] Informatics data structures

Lydall, Quentin C lydall.quentin.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Sep 6 09:14:34 AEST 2016

Hi Mark,
Since V and HLOOKUPs refer to specific ranges of cells they could be considered data structures, though I think of them as more like arrays you get in programming combined with simple query functions in databases. Excel is a remarkable and very powerful application. However, RDBMS is able to do what Excel cannot without writing macros: queries.
If you consider a case where student drivers apply for permission to drive to school via a form they complete, as happens at many schools with 18-year-olds, where you put the student data and car data from the form become the entity tables, and combined with the transaction table that links students to cars and probably lookup tables for things like home groups, you get the data structure that models what is happening in the real world. This is, somehow, very difficult for many students to grasp, as exam reports over the last decade indicate.
Cheers,
Quentin Lydall
Teacher
 [cid:69591F30-A3D5-4D9D-91AA-41DB11518B0B]
34 Alkara Avenue
Lara, Victoria 3212
P: 03 5282 8988 F: 03 5282 818
M: 0412523007