[Informatics] Informatics data structures

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Sep 5 13:47:35 AEST 2016

How now, brown cow,

Info U3O2 KK3 refers to  "data structures relevant to selected software
tools".

First, I wonder, *who* has 'selected' these tools - the examiner or the
student?

- If the examiner has selected them, they have forgotten to name them in
the study design.
- If the student selects them, how can they be examined, apart from,
"Select and name a data structure. (1 mark)"

Then I wondered *which* data structures are relevant to Info.

None is named in the study design. Sure, SD gets it easy: it is told to
cover arrays, records, and associative arrays, but Info has to work it out
alone.

Are we to interpret the KK as referring to:

- VLOOKUP tables (Excel)
- tables, records and fields (RDBMS)

- files? But not even CSV is covered in Info and (obviously) scary stuff
like XML won't apply.

Can anyone think of any other relevant data structures for Informatics?

What if we just teach kids the Expectiminimax Tree, and the Fibonacci Heap
and hope they can mention them on the exam?

With a friendly moo,
Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com