[Informatics] Factors that harm accuracy. (Warning - bad cow jokes.)

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 19:57:01 AEST 2016

Hmm, you could add this to the list.

After a talking farm dog gets all the cows into the milking shed, he
reports back to the farmer: “All 40 accounted for.”

“But I only have 36 cows,” says the farmer.

“I know,” says the dog. “But I rounded them up.”

On 2 September 2016 at 15:01, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> Hi, accurate ones,
>
> Following on from the recent fist fight about accuracy vs correctness,
> today I have been pondering...
>
> *ITI U3O2KK05 - "criteria to check the integrity of data including ...
> accuracy"*
>
> I started wondering about factors that might affect the *accuracy* of
> data or information.
>
> N.B. *Not* 'correctness'. Or 'precision'.
>
> Let's accept that data are an abstract representation of phenomena in the
> real world, such as "There are four cows in the top paddock."
>
> The actual cows are the reality.
> The recorded number of them is the data.
>
> The data representing this cow fact might be - or become - inaccurate due
> to:
>
> - going out of date - the state of the real world has changed (a few new
> cows were put into the paddock) but the data has not been updated to
> reflect that change.
> Or the number of cows had been copied from one database to a mirrored
> site, but the mirror has not been synchronised recently with the master
> copy so the mirror is no longer representative of the true current size of
> the herd of cows*.
>
> - being damaged - someone accidentally or deliberately changes the text "4
> cows" to "40 cows".
> Or disk rot caused the recorded data to be misread by the digital system.
>
> - poor initial data collection - the cows were counted by someone glancing
> out of the window of a fast-moving car, or the cows kept moving about and
> some were counted twice.
>
> - an unreliable data source - there were not four cows: they were goats.
> The data came from an idiot in the city who could not tell the difference.
>
> - bias - the cow-counter had some reason to misrepresent the true number
> of cows in the top paddock, e.g. to reduce his tax bill, or to impress the
> milk maid next door.
>
> - faulty data processing - the wrong formula was used in the spreadsheet
> that added up the number of cows.
>
> - poor validation - the number of cows was entered into the software as
> "four" instead of "4". The software was not expecting text, and - because
> there were no recognisable digits - its *VAL(numCows)* function converted
> the word "four" into a numeric value of zero.
>
> - translation or conversion errors - the reader of the data did not speak
> English and relied on an incorrect electronic translation of the text.
> Or the text said "There are 4 (four) cows" and a careless data entry
> person entered "There are 4 (4) cows" which was later turned into "There
> are 44 cows".
> Or poor optical character recognition of "4 cows" became "9 cows".
>
> True story: I was listening to an audiobook about the history of space
> travel and was astounded to hear that "Apollo Two landed on the moon." It
> took me a while to realise that the text must have been "Apollo 11 landed
> on the moon" but the narrator mistook "11" for the Roman numerals "II".
> [...]

*Roland Gesthuizen*
http://about.me/rgesthuizen

change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret
Mead