[Informatics] [OT] Data security - anonymous, temporary email addresses

Mark mark at vceit.com
Wed Nov 16 16:38:06 AEDT 2016

Hi, anonymous souls

Much like Mailinator <http://mailinator.com>, about which I spoke about
much earlier, which lets people create an email address and anonymously
check for replies (e.g. to avoid later spamming after registration at some
sites)...

https://10minutemail.com is another variety. It creates a temporary (10
minute) email account which lives just long enough to register with a site
and get a confirmation email to reply to.

The morals of using sites like this? It's a dilemma... you must choose
whether to be deceptive, or be a spam victim.
Or prevent 'honest' sites from knowing your real email address so they can
contact you later to encourage participation or contribution.

Don't ask me. I'm still dithering about whether the adoption of the steam
engine was a wise move...

Regards,
Mark

mark at vceit.com