[Yr7-10it] Fwd: coding in 2017

Grieve, Carlin C grieve.carlin.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Dec 12 13:32:07 AEDT 2016

Good work Mel,

Overall I think the learning path is the part that is the most important. You need to ensure that student capacity is built on each year, as it helps the students (As well as the staff ☺ ) Looks like you have this under control!
Having different environments (IDE’s) is always a good thing too, so students do not get hooked on the idea “I can only program in scratch”
Ken was right in ensuring it meets the need of the curriculum though.

·        Yr5/6 Band: Develop digital solutions as simple visual programs (VCDTCD033)<http://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Curriculum/ContentDescription/VCDTCD033>

·        Yr7/8 Band: … using a general-purpose programming language (VCDTCD043)<http://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Curriculum/ContentDescription/VCDTCD043>

·        Yr9/10 Band: … using an object-oriented programming language(VCDTCD053) <http://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Curriculum/ContentDescription/VCDTCD053>

I am interested in what you do with Arduino’s at Year 8 though, as my first implementation failed big time (Expectations vs Reality)

Kind Regards,
[cid:image007.png at 01D1B9E9.E8187310]

Carlin Grieve
Learning Technologies Leading Teacher