[Yr7-10it] Conficker, April the First.

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 26 02:22:11 EST 2009

Thanks guys .. nice comments ..

In terms of email management, imho a really lean arrangement is best.

First, right or wrong, i don't think it's fair to download and reply
etc to every mail from yr own box. Who knows, it might be confickered.

So rather than expect/ask people to trust my computer to be clean, it
seems more polite to use my ISP webmail, and, pick and choose from all
the rubbish. Leave it unopened on my ISP box then delete. That way, my
email is sent direct from ISP servers, and very unlikely to be virused.

Second, use one email account only. Life's too short to check lots of
inboxes. Have one's email all sent one place. Read it, & delete it all,
everything, & keep a really clean email client. If one wants to re-read
and re-use mail, it'll be safe in respective list archives. If one wants
to keep VIP/family email, or addresses, it takes 5 seconds to copy/paste
it into one text editor file, with a desktop icon. Surprising how little
is in that file.

With no filtering into separate mailboxes, which must then be checked
individually quite often, or, risk not seeing it for a week, it means
one deals with 99% then and there. So, simple and easy. The good stuff
will always be in respective archives. And with the same email address
for 15 years means I get sent heaps of rubbish. Why download all what-
ever anyone wants to send, containing who knows what? Cloud computing,
without the cloud. Just the ISP, so it's quick as. Who knows how many
copies of your mail google gmail etc keep? The US gov laws mandate at
least one copy must be kept by google. Not that i care about that one
bit, but i don't want US gov auto-email-scanners misinterpreting what
i'm sent or send. My ISP probably keeps a copy too, but i trust them.

Anyway, lean and simple i say.. deal with email once, with one acount.

Cheers,
Stephen