[Yr7-10it] netbooks being distributed to every year 5 and 6 studentin northern victoria primary schools

Baird, Anne P baird.anne.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 24 08:54:42 EST 2009

Hi Bill

I am managing the netbook Trial in our region, Loddon Mallee, Victoria. (also Rob Costello's region) We have rolled out 4,400 netbooks to date which gives every Grade 6 student and 40% of Grade 5 students access to a netbook. All the Grade 6 students are leasing the netbooks from the schools and DEECD for $52 per year and will take them from school to home each day therefore  having 24/7 access. The netbooks are Lenovo S9s and come with an image that includes Vista as the OS, the MS suite of tools, Kahootz and a wide range of open source educational software. At the end of 3 years, parents/ students will have the option to buy the netbook with their final lease payment of $52. A total of $156.

DEECD and the regions are providing a range of professional development opportunities for teachers in the trial. We are using a range of research strategies to assess and document the trial. There are three other regions who are participating in the trial as well. With the other two country regions  trialling with Grade 5 students. Our netbooks will go with the students to secondary college next year so we have the added challenge of supporting the Secondary teachers as well.

I hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Anne Baird
1-to-1 Netbook Project Manager
Loddon Mallee Region