[Yr7-10it] Tools for Interactivity (Was: Missed theboat?)

Fawcett - Le Rossignol, Jamie E fawcettlerossignol.jamie.e at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 12 08:22:09 EST 2009

IWB may provide a motovation for some disinterested learners, but once
the technological sparkile wears off...  What then?

I can see that IWB add a bit of techie gloss to what can be seen as a
dull profession, and can look good.  But I don't see how is improves a
students understanding of a subject area.  Although it may improve
Visual Thinking.
So can pencil & paper, I personally find that I am far more productive
when I plan what I'm doing with pen & paper before touching a computer.
In a sense, to sort out my thinking before bringing in the big guns.

I know that minor tasks can be quickly completed, before moving on to
other things.  Students do not gain a depth of understanding by quickly
moving from task to task.  bTo me authentic learning takes time.

I'm worried if technology is the primary form of motovation &
engagement, but how else can we compete against computer games, TV
shows, etc?

Sorry to all, I feel like I starting to rant.
Jamie Le Rossignol