[Yr7-10it] Re: [it-teachers] python programming competition

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:12:24 EST 2009

hi kevork,

Only an introductory level, unfortunately - used as an extension for kids
who chew up everything else quickly

I had a couple of students participate last year (one year 10, one year 11).
This year I am planning to run some introductory lunchtime sessions before
the event

One fear I have is that students have become so used to "user friendly" and
"drag and drop" then when they encounter a text based language they find it
alien. I try to talk them through this and stagger the introductory problems
that I set to make the learning gradual but the resistance or reluctance is
there for sure, in my experience. I'm sad about that but what the heck. I
can still learn python myself and rant to my students about how important it
is.

I have entered the competition myself in the past couple of years - here is
my write up from
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/08/thoughts-on-python-programming.html

Note that the competition changed last year with a beginners and advanced
section

cheers