[Yr7-10it] Twittering

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:49:45 EST 2009

Twitter is a bit different from a forum to ask for help .. it is an odd mix
of micro-blogging and chat. I have a small, friendly gathering of educators
on my Twitter rgesethuizen identity but not as many as I can tap into via
these forums. No students although I expect they have moved beyond
micro-blogging to communicating in fewer syllables with words like hmm, shh,
ahh, grr, hah, ugg, huh, yeh etc.

Perhaps if students were looking to share questions they would use Yahoo
Answers. Last year I was surprised to spot my VCE students skim this for
answers until I found out that one was handing out IT advice and trying to
gain more 'points' than somebody else! She was doing a swell job of
answering basic questions by doing some snap research and typing up short
answers. Apparently they got the most points if the questioner voted her
answer as the best. Worth studying although I should warn that I now
recognise that like other similar engines, some of the questions discussed
cover adult concepts.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au