[Yr7-10it] windfall school tech spending list

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:31:38 EST 2009

Hmm, an interesting question Steven, I would have to throw my weight behind
Peter
 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/evaekeblad/356710639/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/evaekeblad/356710639/><http://www.flickr.com/people/evaekeblad/>
If my school was given a big pot of money to spend to improve the access and
availability of technology. Would I be happy? I suppose that I would be, but
only up to a point. I have been down this path

The annual salary of a teacher in our Cambodia sister school is less than
the cost of a typical software package. I will admit to considerable guilt
that some of our well intentioned 'initiatives' cost more than the
educational budget of a small, third world nation .. yet we cry poor.

Our growing eco-footprint puts shame to efforts at reducing greenhouse
emissions. We avoid retrofitting our schools to improve efficiency because
of the cost whilst filling them up with more and more technology. We pretend
we are preparing students for the world of tomorrow whilst forgetting about
the world we leave them, foolishly investing research in unproven coal
technology instead of implementing proven solar options, sending our surplus
computer hardware to landfill instead of recycling .. yet we cry for lack of
leadership.

In India already, impoverished communities are leapfrogging over desktop
computers for handheld devices but in ways that would suprise you all. The
thing that will make the biggest impact for these teachers and communities
are cheap, portable communication (mobile phones) and FOSS technologies. We
could so easily do the same .. yet we cry ignorance.

If we are going to be truly global citizens, we need to lift our gaze beyond
our school fence and become inspired with a vision that is greater than just
deploying the latest and greatest plaything.

If money can help mend our broken human spirit, it would be an investment
worth inspiring for.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au