[Yr7-10it] windfall school tech spending list

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 09:08:21 EST 2009

Good fast network and servers
Multimedia projectors with speakers in each teaching space
Huge big fat pipe to internet
No limit to internet access data costs
Lots and lots of properly resourced and relevant educator training
Appropriate levels of tech time
Strong systemic encouragement to use lots and lots of FOSS with students and
teachers
Systemic use of FOSS tools and projects so that the system employs
programmers to customise and develop appropriate FOSS software for schools
and so also supports the development of the IT industry in our country
Notebook/netbook for all students and teachers
System improvements like access to wiki and other collaborative sorts of
software that can be appropriately configured within the schools VPN

2009/2/22 <stephen at melbpc.org.au>

> Hi all,
>

> A quick survey .. regarding technology .. what would you and your school
>
> spend many bucket loads of money on .. right now .. technology related ??
>

> maybe, an unlimited, within reason, thankful ex-student bequest say :)
>
> just a very short list if you like, on or off list, and i'll collate :D
>
> tens+ million for technology related spending **now** for your school ??
>

> what?
>

> http://www.edweek.org American Technology experts are advising school
> officials to look closely at the new federal economic-stimulus package
> for indirect as well as direct sources of aid for technology projects.
> The $787 billion stimulus bill, signed into law last week, includes $650
> million for existing educational technology programs and opens additional
> opportunities to find money for such purposes as improved broadband
> access for rural schools and enhanced data-management systems."
>

> Eg all notebooks, touch screen iwbs & fast broadband in every classroom?
>
> just maybe, Kevin might need to spend more yet, quickly, let's be ready :)
>

> cheers,
> Stephen
> and

Free and Open education for all