[Yr7-10it] bushfire recovery

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 00:27:25 EST 2009

wish I could donate a decent camera phone to the local who posted us
some pictures of the damaged buildings. It took me 10 min of
squinting, head twisting and shaking to try to resolve the smallest
thumbnail and identify the wreckage. We have certainly lost all our
sleeping accommodation and probably the pine forest that surrounds the
camp. Thankfully the original Balook Primary School building survived
(Kitchen and classroom) .. will do a recon visit later this or next
week.

As an aside, an overseas news group just used two photographs that I
published in Flickr. One was by a friend who drove south on the
Saturday to my home and snapped a mobile phone picture of the gale
force winds and smoke blowing south from the highway. The other I took
of the orange moon through the smoke blowing over Mount Dandenong
after I had just primed and tested our home sprinkler system.

Spent this weekend reducing the fuel load around our home, cooking
meals and spending some time with the kids and talking to my parents.
The events of the past week kind of spin your life back into
perspective.

Regards Roland