[Yr7-10it] bushfire recovery

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:23:57 EST 2009

We have been watching the creeping fire front on the DSE website,
holding our breath and fearing the worst.

The call came through that my school just lost the buildings (science
equipment, telescope etc) at our Balook school camp in Gippsland ..
The historic original building survived. Twas ye olde Balook Primary
School, now our Balook campus. You have to imagine one of those 1800's
schools with high ceilings, tables with inkwells, chalk board and a
wooden honour roll for the great war. Reminds me of my old Primary
School in The Basin. ;-)

The anniversary celebrations will now probably continue, ironically
without all the splendid additions we have built at the camp over the
past 40 years! We have granted permission for the remaining building
to be used by the local community as a refuge for any needy families.

Regards Roland