[Yr7-10it] How to interest girls in ICT electives at middle-secondary level?

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 11:10:36 EST 2009

This is a topic that warrants lots of discussion.

The role modelling at leadership levels is exceptionally important. It seems
to be more of an issue in schools than in other workplaces. I used to work
with a project manager who had come to education from another area, and we'd
often end up in school public events where a Principal (male or female, it
didn't matter) would get up in front of an audience and precede a PowerPoint
presentation with "I'm not very good with this computer stuff, i don't use
it very much". Sends an interesting(!) message to students and staff, and my
co-worker was simply horrified that a school leader would do that.
Having students meet the wide range of people who work in ICT-related fields
is very valuable, as it gets them aware that the field is way beyond the
stereotype. This helps give an inclusive vision for all students (not just
girls, but any students outsidfe of the stereotype computing profile)

As part of a Churchill Fellowship a few years back I visited a number of
schools in the US. One in particular sticks in my mind. The computing class
i visited was last lesson of the day, and was all males except one female.
At 5pm the same teacher had an adult class in the same subject, so I stayed
to observe that one.  It was all females - young women who had attended that
school a few years prior but were now in the workplace. I spoke with some
and asked about their school history. None had studied computing in school,
and they were quite angry about it. They said that they hadn't realised how
important it was, or even WHAT it was, until they had begun work. They saw
that ICT was essential to their advancement in their jobs, and enrolled in
these evening classes to do what they could have done at school.  Two felt
so strongly about the matter than they had come back to the school during
the day to talk to the students. They did not blame the school, they blamed
the lack of information about careers in ICT and the importance of ICT in
other careers. This is one thing we need to fix. Somehow....

Kids get much of their career  and futures ideas from parents, peers and the
media. The popular media don't help much here - kids can tell you exciting
they believe it must be to work on mutilated bodies at crime scenes (even
though the reaility is nothing like the tv show) , but they have no idea
what an iCT career involves. And neither do some of their teachers except
those who are teaching in the ICT area (plus a few others). A while back we
did some research with students asking them  to name some local ICT
companies (even here in Tasmania there are 250 or so dedicated IT companies
producing everything from aquaculture software to multimedia content to
eHealth solutions to java libraries). The most common answer? "Harvey
Norman". A retailer that sells domestic goods. That's not the most worrying
bit. When confronted with this data, quite a few non-ICT teachers here and
in other states couldn't see a problem. Wonder if this would be the case
with other teachers in the schools of list members? While teachers of ICT
can articulate reasons why ICT is important, what about the other teachers
who influence these students?  Are they aware of how ICT might be of
importance to the child who shows interest in poliics, music, ancient
civilisations,voluntary aid work, medical practice, farming, parenthood,
fashion design....?

Some of the research undertaken by Women in IT groups nationally and
internationally gives a few more clues that might assist. Work that has a
clear social purpose with collaboration is more likely to attract females
than power-related tasks that attract a specific subset of males.

The next level is - are we trying to increase girls' participation in the
ICT electives already on offer because we believe they are important, or are
we trying to design ICT electives that are more attractive to girls? If the
latter, some of the game-based work which looks at nontraditional uee of
games has some merit. The development of animations and content for mobile
phones is often successful in attracting a more diverse group of students,
as do tasks that involve designing materials for younger children.
Activities that involve customisation and personalisation also suceed. At
the risk of stereotyping, the programs that let you test makeup and
hairstyles on your own photo, those that let you try out colour schemes on
the model of your room or house, and the landscape design tools tend to be
of more interest to young women than young men (in general). Creating and
editing a Wikipedia page for some local feature is a real task that students
can undertake which can involve some serious IT skills if done thoroughly,
and creates something of value to others. Or perhaps using Google Earth and
Sketchup to create a significant online model of some unique local feature,
that can be used by others.

The Hannah Montana thing was more than tongue-in-cheek, though I agree it
does look trivial and patronising. However any marketing person involved in
marketing to males and females knows how quite superficial characteristics
make a huge difference. Spend a half-hour at a MYER or JB etc store and
watch male and female customers looking at iPods, phones, digital cameras
and the Toshiba laptops that do indeed come in a range of colours including
pink. Marketing research is high-stakes and perhaps we could make better use
of this information (though of course we need to be critical in its
application to education).

A few people have alluded to the stuctural problems we face - the
timetabling, the blocked sites, etc. These indeed add to the difficuly, but
maybe there are workarounds Locally hosted tools with social networking
components perhaps (local blogs for students to document their learning,
with the social networking confined to the school community) might be of
use. Hard to know though if the effort is best spent on workarounds or on
getting the barriers removed,

The issue of integration is major. Ideally, ideep integration of ICT into
every other curriculum area would be a tremendous solution. However, there
is a real risk that the integration iwill only include a very shallow level
of IT, and this level plateaus (that is, the level of ICT use in say
English doesn't change much from the start of high school to the end). Ideas
on how to change that in a typical school would be very valuable.

Cheers
ken