[Yr7-10it] How to interest girls in ICT electives at middle-secondary level?

Margaret Lawson margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Sun Aug 2 00:31:03 EST 2009

Claire ... I was going to ask the question of positive female role
models in our schools, thanks for mentioning it!

But to others who are following this thread .... How many female leaders
in our schools "play dumb" when it comes to using technology in front of
kids at assemblies (apologies if I am being harsh, but being a teacher
for god knows how many years I have seen many examples) ... if you have
no female IT teachers in your school then there are opportunities...

Years ago, when I worked at MLC, we had a program where if you did 3/4
IT in Year 11 and you were a competent student, you apply to be an IT
support person (paid) the following year in the younger classes. I felt
that this program did a lot for the confidence of the girls studying IT.
Mind you, MLC is a female rich environment ... so I often wondered how
this would work in a co-ed environment. The costing of a program such as
this was minimal given the benefit that it gave both the older students
acting as a mentor and the younger students ability to see a female in a
confident technology position. In the past, I have tried to run computer
clubs in schools, but they have always ended up turning into "boys
clubs"... which of course has the negative effect of what I was trying
to achieve. Most of the girls that I teach in my non-IT subject, love
blogs, social networking and interaction -  most of which is banned in
most schools.

I am not sure that the solution is a Hannah Montana skin on an operating
system .... why don't we all give them pink keyboards?

We need to look at the disservice we are doing both genders by not
having compulsory IT at Years 7 and 8. Integrated ICT programs sound
fabulous on paper, but the reality is that unless a) your school is
doing an adequate amount of ICT PD of teachers and b) curriculum leaders
are is keeping an eye on what actually happening, then chances are the
kids will be getting a second rate IT education (as opposed to an ICT
education).  How can girls and boys alike decide on an IT curriculum
elective at Year 9 (and then onto Year 12) without a proper
understanding of what it is like to get their teeth into a IT project
where they are completely engrossed in solving problems rather than the
odd powerpoint or multimedia assignment. There is a role for ICT
integration, but it is a very different IT experience to working on an
extended project.

Most of you will know that the attitudes that Year 7's form in their
first year in high school, are often taken with them through to the end
of their education in Year 12. Diary maintenance, discipline, study
habits are all positively formed in this formative year. At the end of
Year 7, most students have chosen the road they want to travel down in
secondary school in regards to these areas. I believe that this is the
same for technology. Positive experiences in Year 7 with IT matter.

The question should be how do we ensure the survival of IT while still
supporting the inclusion of ICT in schools. I believe there is room for
both in a school, but the answer is not to dismiss a separate IT subject
as not needed or unworthy because others subjects use the tools. (I know
that the following argument is flawed and some people are going to get
stuck into me ...but ... ) It would be like saying that we don't need
English as a subject because the students use English in every other
subject ...

Thank-you for the opportunity to add to this discussion ... I can feel a
blog entry coming on!

:)

Margaret Lawson
Part time St. Michael's Grammar School, St. Kilda
Part time Konstant Kaos Designs: http://alittlebitofkaos.blogspot.com/

Margaret Lawson

Konstant Kaos Designs

ABN 50 523 597 927