[Yr7-10it] How to interest girls in ICT electives at middle-secondary level?

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 17:33:30 EST 2009

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html

Hannah Montana Linux is a linux Operating system based on Kubuntu with
Hannah Montana Themes

You may laugh but install it on one computer and watch the student response.
Seriously.

Then tell them you can give them a copy to take home, for free. Might want
to warn them not to reformat the parents' computer in the process though.

ken
TASITE
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Clive Oldland <clive_oldland at yahoo.com.au>wrote:

>   Hi All,
>
> Has any one got any strategies that have worked to turn around the gender
> imbalance in selecting ICT electives in middle years?
>
> I would be particularly interested in knowing how you pitched your elective
> to make it attractive to girls.
>
> Also, is ICT compulsory in years 7 & 8 at your school?  Do you believe that
> contributed to better participation from girls in higher years?
>
> (I have been a subscriber since May, but his is my first post.  Many thanks
> for the interesting conversations I have observed this year.)
>
> Regards,
> Clive Oldland
> Montmorency SC

> and
> http://www.vitta.org.au - VITTA Victorian Information Technology Teachers

Dr Ken Price MACS ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE