[Yr7-10it] RE: A Girls in computing group...

David Cullen dc.cullen at student.qut.edu.au
Mon Mar 31 12:45:02 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I have just subscribed to this list and this is my first post.  I am a final year Education student studying at QUT in Queensland.

I am following this thread with great interest as this is our area of study at the moment - falling numbers in IT especially girls.  Looking at the enrollment statistics (in Queensland) it seems that alot of the students are doing HPE (sport) and a large number of the girls are doing Visual Arts.  Maybe the IT subjects are not creative enough for the female students.

I would be interested to know what the situation is in other schools.  What subjects are they doing instead of IT?  What is it about IT that is turning them away?

Look forward to reading your opinions.

Cheers
David