[Yr7-10it] FW: ICT in year 9

James GIBNEY jgy at sthelena.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 13 10:02:03 EST 2008

________________________________

From: James GIBNEY
Sent: Wed 3/12/2008 12:57 PM
To: yr7-10it-bounces at edulists.com.au
Subject: ICT in year 9

Hi all,

this year I have been fortunate enough to be on a Teacher Professional Leave program with three other staff members looking at reworking our year 9 program. We get one day off a week. As ICT coordinator I am interested in how schools incorporate ICT into their Year 9 program. For ICT we currently have a standalone program for each year 9 class which runs for one semester of 2 periods a week. The software covered is PowerPoint and Access with some Dreamweaver/Flash if we get through all the work.

I am interested in how other schools have structured their year 9 ICT program and the following questions:

- the value of ICT as a standalone subject or taught within other faculties
- use of EWBs, gaming consoles, tablets and other hardware/software in the classrom
- class sets of laptops and managing them
- other ideas

Any information on or off list would be appreciated as would any discussion or opinions. If you have a particularly impressive program and you are amenable I would like to come along and have a look.

I look forward to the flood of ideas and suggestions.

Regards

James Gibney
St Helena Secondary College