[Yr7-10it] Interactive Electronic Whiteboards

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:00:38 EST 2008

A neighbouring school has IWB's gathering dust as they are used as an
expensive whiteboard / projection systems. From what I can see, only one
unit is used effectively by an inspiring teacher who teaches only in the
same room.

I am typing this post on an Ubuntu Linux desktop (excuse me for being a
power user). The USB waicom tablet that I loaned from school just plugged in
and started working. Again, this got me thinking about the benefits of a
'touch sensitive' IWB as compared to just using a wireless bluetooth enabled
mini-keyboard with trackpad / USB port and a bluetooth Waicom tablet.

In theory two (or more) sets of these units can be shared amongst students
and the teacher in a classroom, perhaps one per team of students. When
necessary or desirable, they can then collaborate, annotate on the big
screen, all using a portable or existing projector system.

This week, I am going to order two sets of these wireless devices for a
trial.  Whilst I am not trying to reproduce the traditional IWB and might
miss out on some of the "eye candy", the cost saving and approach where
students can contribute from their team desks is very appealing.

What do others think?

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au