[Yr7-10it] Neverwinter Nights Toolset and Helper Applications.

Paul Sijpkes sijp at knox.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 25 15:06:27 EST 2008

Thanks Tony,

I'm mainly aiming at engaging kids with programming but I'm also looking at extending into 3D editing later on using Gmax.  I purchased a class set of 25 copies from Singapore for about $300.  Gmax is free to use, but you need NWMax to import and export 3D objects to and from the game. Other very useful apps I have found in the 3D area include NWN Explorer and CtrlView.

It's true the game itself focuses too much on violence, but the Toolset does not need to be used in this way and lends itself very well to narrative and interactive story telling.  I've stipulated with my kids that violence must always be a last resort, even in a game.  It makes the game more challenging and interesting to play, and to build.

I've never had problems with NWN technically and find the forums very helpful.  I've discovered another tool, developed at the University of Alberta, called Scriptease, allowing you to easily build a narrative for your game. This works alongside the Toolset.

I'll keep you all up to date with my progress next term.  I'm still interested if any others have tried this.

Cheers,

Paul Sijpkes
VET Co-ordinator
The Knox School
A co-educational, independent school with a global perspective
PRE-PREP TO YEAR 12
220 Burwood Highway
Wantirna South VIC 3152
Phone: +61 3 8805 3800
Fax: +61 3 9887 1850
Website:www,knox.vic.edu.au
CRICOS Provider NO: 00151G ABN: 16 095 158 222