[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Bell, Cameron P bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Oct 23 21:48:24 EST 2007

I'm sorry but Alida's comment came across to me in the vein of "Third World Countries can't look after themselves" and I'm sorry if it wasn't meant that way. If I have completely mis-interpreted your comment Alida I'm sorry. I still think that many of the questions you raise are still equally applicable here.
I also have a question about the OLPC, which I suppose may also seem patronising, but has less to do with corruption and political interference and is more from a teachers perspective:

We have had laptops for some years now and, by the nature of the discussion on this list, are still trying to develop clear strategies for the use of ICT in schools. We are still coercing reluctant colleagues into using them and have had millions of dollars spent on PD over the years. We are only just understanding the potential and putting effective practise into place. Will educationalists in those countries be supported in utilising them effectively?

The cultural aspect of the OLPC is, I believe, less of an issue than fast-food multi-nationals and syndicated tv programs. The beauty of the OLPC OS is that it can be culturally customised. There is no doubt that the OLPC has the potential to create cultural problems, but we have also seen it here with the misuse of the Internet. The model I advocate at my school is that teachers must act as learned guides to establish the rules and offer the guidance youngsters need when venturing online. Teachers, often being trained and keeping abreast of the developments in the ICT world have a role to play in preserving our values and culture and keeping our kids safe. Will the teachers in OLPC countries be encouraged and equipped to take on the same role?
We in Victoria have learnt that simply throwing a computer at a teacher or class isn't sufficient. What support will the OLPC receive to prevent them simply decorating classrooms and looking good for VIP visits.

Cameron