[Yr7-10it] RE: Year 7-10 IT structures

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue Oct 23 20:26:36 EST 2007

Alida asks good questions, some have good answers, others don't:

How do we know the black market won't steal these machines for their
nefarious profit making?
The idea behind the OLPC is mass rollout in the millions, every child will
have one so there is less option to selectively supply them for extra
payment. There is also a security feature which allows them to be remotely
disabled if stolen

Corrupt governments can use them to push their agendas online and in
classrooms?
The mesh network will mean wide access to the net, narrow agendas would be
hard to maintain

What divide will occur between the computer literate child and their
non-savvy parents?
The cultural question is I think the big sleeper here. What will these sort
of effects be?

Will it use American software which has American English and uses structures
and sensibilities that are ubiquitously American (and insidious) and
therefore difficult for other cultures to understand?
When you look at the open development model, the monopoly of American
structures and sensibilities is broken

Tony