[Yr7-10it] Re: Learning PERL (or PHP,PYTHON)

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:32:09 EST 2007

I do know perl, python and php, and though I quite like it myself, I
would keep perl away from high school students. Unless the student in
question is a l337 h4x0r. In which case they can probably learn it at
home, themselves, in a short period of time. Basically, it has the
potential to become extremely messy and confusing unless you're very
disciplined. Python is quite nice, and forces you to write readable
code. PHP, is, ummm, a language. I've got nothing for or against it,
though it's use is mostly restricted in the real world to making
websites.

The good thing about all of these languages is they have really good
tutorials, documentation and function references (and examples)
online. I've used PHP's heaps, and it is very tidy, Perl and Python
both have extensive ones too. And it is here that the focus of the
learning should be. Once a person knows a couple of languages, they
can pick up most other languages quite easily, provided they know how
to use the reference material. If you can teach them this early on
they can probably teach themselves thereafter.