[Yr7-10it] Re buzz words from 22/11....

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Nov 30 10:06:32 EST 2007

On 30/11/2007, at 8:56 AM, Adrian Janson wrote:
> The fact that you felt that the keynote was not relevant to you and
> was too reliant on ‘buzz-words’ is a concern to me.  Personally I
> feel that this is just the sort of keynote that I want to see.  One
> that has vision and is positive and thought-provoking.

You have hit the nail on the head when you said _reliant_ on
buzzwords. Usually buzzwords come about because there's an underlying
new idea that's visionary and thought-provoking as you point out.
However, all too often people just drop the buzzword merely in order
to associate themselves with a presently fashionable idea.  I'm not
opposed to using buzzwords per se if they're actually being used as
part of a discussion of that new idea, exploring its implications,
presenting evidence for or against it, etc.

Jimbo Wales would be a good example of that type of presentation, if
you've ever picked a vod- or podcast of one. He drops buzzwords all
over the place when talking about Wikipedia, but they come along with
numerous penetrating insights into the nature of collaboration and
learning and the implications of the environment in which these take
place.  He makes great observations or even just assertions, but he
follows them up thoroughly with the reasoning that is behind them and
what evidence he has for them, presenting counter-arguments and
refuting them and giving a few accessible examples to drive the
message home.

This is the type of presentation I'd love to see-- I think you'd
probably agree.   I just didn't think the keynote I saw came close to
achieving that.  We seem to be expected to take assertions at face
value because they fit with the "feeling of the time", without being
convinced by argument, analysis or evidence... and sometimes it's even
worse, and you can't even work out what point they're trying to make.

Russell Edwards
Whittlesea Secondary College