[Yr7-10it] "education revolution" and other buzz words

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 22 14:47:39 EST 2007

HI everyone,

> Rudd's "education revolution" was mentioned a few times at VITTA and
> VITTA itself promoted its conference on the theme of revolution

For the record - VITTA's 'so you say you want a revolution' was devised
independent of the ALP or the AEU!  In fact the source of inspiration for
the conference theme was Michael Wesch's excellent Web2.0 presentation.

>> The way language is used at educational ICT conferences, especially
>> at keynotes, makes me want to throw up, the list of buzz words is
>> enormous,

>I agree; the keynote on the day I attended was 99% "bum fluff" as I
>like to call it.

I have to disagree with this view (although you are all of course entitled
to your own opinions - and whether or not you enjoy a keynote or an
individual presentation).

>From my perspective, the purpose of a keynote is to propose big ideas,
generate discussion and inspire.  Stephen Heppell filled this brief
perfectly - and truly addressed the theme.  A keynote presentation is not
about solutions and detailed practice primarily.  The keynotes on the
Tuesday and the Wednesday fitted in well with this with an expansion of
detail - and the sessions themselves provided delegates with detailed
examples of practice.

We worked hard to bring a high profile, international ICT educator to
Melbourne - with the purpose of exposing delegates to some truly innovative
ideas and issues.

Cheers,
Adrian

Adrian Janson,
VITTA President
Director of ICT,
Melbourne High School,
Forrest Hill, South Yarra 3141 Australia.
Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received
in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments, check them for viruses and defects.  Regardless of any loss,
damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our
liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any
representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the
individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education
and Early Childhood Development.