[Yr7-10it] programming curriculum

Peter Ruwoldt ruwoldtp at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:23:43 EST 2007

On 14/05/07, Paul Sijpkes <paul.sijpkes at aanet.com.au> wrote:

> Good evening list,
>
> I am in the process of developing a curriculum for a Year 10 elective in
> programming.  I have done some initial research and found that there is an
> enormous range of options from the more popular products eg. Gamemaker and
> Visual Basic to Python, Ruby, BlueJ, Robocode (very cool!) to just scratch
> the surface.

Great idea. Use 'Scratch'. Absoutely perfect. http://scratch.mit.edu/

I believe that a good grounding in Java or a C based language is probably
> beneficial but I don't want to overwhelm the students with an overly
> technical approach.

You're right.  Scratch could be the fun way to provide an excellent
grounding.  It is also freely available.
http://waraku.blogspot.com/2007/03/scratch-mobile-phones-and-podmo.html

Here are some other links relating to Scratch
http://del.icio.us/search/?fr=del_icio_us&p=scratch&type=user

Then again, I don't want them to be purely based in

--
Free and Open education for all

Peter Ruwoldt
Grant High School
Hosking Avenue
MOUNT GAMBIER  SA  5290

P. 08 87263107 (Do not leave voice mail)
F. 08 87250173

ruwoldtp at granths.sa.edu.au
http://www.watiwara.com/