[Yr7-10it] programming curriculum

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue May 15 11:00:50 EST 2007

I have listed all the languages I could think of at
http://tonyforster.blogspot.com/2007/02/game-programming-tools.html

I have had a quick look at most of them for:

  a.. easy entry level programming with drag and drop programming
  b.. a true versatile programming environment, not just selecting from
limited scenarios
  c.. top end extensibility through fully featured text based programming
  d.. licencing which allows kids to continue to work at home for free
There are two, Scratch and Star Logo TNG which deserve further investigation
but, of the rest of them, GameMaker is the only one I would set a class of
lower secondary students loose on. I have tried Alice and Lego robots and
tried to make Machinima with classes, the comparison with GameMaker is an
order of magnitude different, you just stand back and GameMaker teaches
itself.