[Yr7-10it] Prep to 6 IT

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 24 18:45:57 EST 2007

Hi Victor.
In your shoes I would probably follow this pathway:
1. Find out from their teachers (say) three topics that will be covered
sometime in the next month or so in class.
2. Using "Google Images" yourself, work through these one at a time
finding websites that have useful pictures and information - with each
one produce a 'working document' on which you have saved the URL and
written about three questions that can only be answered by reading the
website (difficulty level varying to suit age of student, but with each
one a 'somewhat harder one' to challenge the top flyers in each class).
Also, for each url, identify at least one picture you want them to save
as a file, but challenge them to discover which one you want (or
something like that).
3. This will then give you a stack of data (including URL's of the
websites) that you can weave into a variety of "web-challenges".
Students would then accumulate images and information, and re-present it
to you using any of the following possible formats, depending what you
wish to achieve - powerpoint, word, publisher, frontpage, videoediting.
4. You could invite them to make a small quiz that can only be answered
by looking up specific url's - they could create these in groups etc.
I trust that the above provides a useful springboard - I find that
students love the challenge of trying to find something that you have
already made certain is there, and I find that you are able to cover a
broad spectrum of skills in your teaching by requiring them to do
something (e.g. make a 2 page website) and you are available to assist
and suggest and guide as they go about it.
All the best - do let us all know how the computing goes with the
various gradelevels.
Cheers, Keith