[Yr7-10it] Chairs in a Computer Centre

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:50:07 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 3:34 PM, Russell Edwards
<edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> We just use normal classroom chairs. I thought this was odd at first,
> until I asked myself why you need a special chair just for using a
> computer.  The answer is, you don't.

I disagree. Habits start when you're young. Bad computer habits are no
different. If a young person can get into the habit of sitting upright
at a computer, with a monitor, keyboard and mouse in a well placed
ergonomic setup, this can prevent problems for them down the track. A
chair is part of that, and the chairs we have in our IT lab (coupled
with the design of the computer benches) encourage bad posture.

You could well argue that the same applies for normal classroom
chairs/desks. And it does, and it is probably something that should be
dealt with. But lets face it, few students will be working at 'desks'
while many will be working at computers. IT teachers could be seen as
leading the charge towards better ergonomics in the school.

vik