[Yr7-10it] virtualisation

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 17:57:02 EST 2006

> What a great idea. I have already started playing with MS VPC. Out of
> interest, it seems that with VMWARE Player you need VMWare Server. Is this
> what yu are using with this product?

With VMWare player, you need to have a virtual machine 'image' already; the
player just plays it. This can be created with VMWare server (I've had a bit
of play with this; it's also free), but there are a number of free
applications which do this - in fact there is little more to the VM apart
from a text file defining how to map the hardware - see
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/10/26/vmware-player-windows-xp.html, or
http://rhysgoodwin.orcon.net.nz/vmxwizard/ for a program which creates VMs.

The main differences seems to be that VPC lets you create undo disks to
revert the VM back to a previous state (could be very useful). Though saving
the state of a VMWare machine and running a copy acheives the same. On the
other hand, I couldn't find a way in VPC to use CD images (ISOs) as virtual
drives, making it a pain to use in labs where computer don't have optical
drives.

Apparently the paid-for VMWare apps (Desktop I think) have some other really
cool features - like 'undo disks' on steriods - letting you undo and redo
multiple trees or something like that. But I'll have to be content with the
free ones... and really, they probably have enough functionality to do most
things.

vik