[Yr7-10it] Re: RE: [Year 12 IPM] ICT Progression Points

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 01:08:38 EST 2006

Good answer Robert, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I agree
that not all secondary school teachers need to plug in an answer for all of
the ICT standadrs. In fact, with the PP numerical averaging that goes on in
the background with the reporting system, this could become considerable
work for all teachers with minimal benefit. I believe that once a higher PP
score has been set, it cannot reduce to a lower score by a later (perhaps
more realistic) assessment. Staff do need to get it right the first time.
Your survey is a good idea to help target the point where and who can best
assess the ICT area when it isnt taught as a standalone subject.

We touched on this again at our staff meeting tonight after I had given a
talk about Internet safety. Few of my colleagues had really read the new ICT
standards. Most didn't seem to realize what would be required to enable
students a chance to demonstrate a good PP score. Ye olde work to use
computers for Google research (insert topic) followed by a slideshow report
(paste content from Internet) communicated to teacher (attached to e-mail)
is no longer sufficient. The bar has certainly been raised for both staff
and students.

Regards Roland

PS: It would be good to slip this discussion thread across from the IPM list
to the year 7 to 10 list where it probably fits in better. Check your reply
to line when next posting a reply (and subscribe to the year 7-10 ICT list).

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au