[Yr7-10it] Re: [Year 12 IPM] OT: VELS ICT

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:22:41 EST 2006

I will push this thread to the year 7 to 10 area so please watch the address
when you click on reply to avoid posts to the IPM area. To join, just click
on this link http://www.edulists.com.au/mailman/listinfo/yr7-10it

I worry if I hear any group devalue any of the interdisciplinary domains
such as ICT as being any less important in a school curriculum. I am very
sure that the term interdisciplinary wasn't intended to mean 'integrated' or
'in-between'.  Similarly, the term 'discipline' wasn't intended to replace
subject areas. Lesley is right, we should focus on the standards and help
colleagues raise the bar so that they can engage students with meaningful
and suitably ICT challenging activities (not just bigger slideshows or more
eye candy). I agree that it is going to be hard to see where the 'basic
knowledge fits in'.

I still have a mental model of three threads that weave their way together
and recall somebody saying that schools can still organise thier activities
to best suit their local needs .. this means that ICT may or may not be
taught as a standalone subject. Paula has a good slide on the VITTA website
that illustrates this.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au