[Yr7-10it] VELS and IT

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 01:25:59 EST 2006

I am v. torn by this discussion

on the one hand I also would like to take the "high ground" of advocating
for higher order thinking, the importance of abstraction - I can see an
argument for that

on the other hand I can see that learning the messy idiosyncratic detail of
the user interface of its day and becoming fluent in its operation is simply
essential

Alan Kay once wrote, "user interface is worth 100 IQ points". It sounds like
a crude reductionism but Alan Kaye is not that sort of guy.

Could it be that computers and AI research (Minsky, Brookes) will lead us to
rethinking Blooms taxonomy? Computers can beat Kasparov at chess but they
can't yet do "simple" things like make a mud pie.

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr.blogspot.com/