[Yr7-10it] VELS and IT

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Sat Jun 10 23:09:54 EST 2006

> I'm teaching "about IT", I find it _really_ hard to move beyond knowledge.
> To do things such as summarize, describe, interpret, apply, demonstrate,
> calculate, analyze, separate, order, explain, connect, classify, combine,
> integrate, modify, rearrange, substitute, assess, decide, rank, grade,
> test,
> measure, or recommend ... All the "higher order" skills is just so hard.
> I'd suggest that this is because we are too bothered with ensuring that
> the
> students have "the skills" rather than "the concepts".  If we were
> orientated towards "concepts", then then higher order stuff would come
> easier.

Imagine that its 1986, you are learning Wordstar on DOS or CPM. With the
wisdom of hindsight, what are the generalised, higher order skills which
will  still be useful in 2006? More importantly, how would you have
recognised them back in 1986? If you can answer that, then you are on the
way to knowing what is important to teach now.